Stephanie Chavez of the Spanglish Spoon uses a flavorful chimichurri verde for her grilled steak and cheese flatbread sandwiches. Make extra, you’ll be feeding a crowd with these proven winners! Muchas gracias, Stephanie!
By: Stephanie Chavez, Spanglish Spoon
Grilled Steak and Cheese Sandwich
- 1 Flatout Foldit Flatbread
- 2 thin slices skirt steak
- ½ cup finely minced cilantro
- ¼ cup finely minced mint leaves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- 2 deli slices monterey jack cheese
- tomato slices
- Romaine lettuce
- Combine cilantro, mint, and olive oil in a medium size bowl. Make a garlic paste by adding the salt to the minced garlic and mashing it little by little with the flat side of a chef’s knife on a cutting board. Add paste to the bowl, mix well. Add lemon juice to your taste.
- Rub some of the sauce onto the steaks and then heat up your grill to medium-low. Once the steaks have had a chance to come to room temperature, cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until you notice the edges beginning to brown. A large flat spatula helps flip them over best.
- When the meat is done, spread a little more of the sauce all over the meat again and set it aside.
- Bring the temperature on your grill to low, toast the Foldit flatbread with cheese slices on top until the cheese starts to melt and bubble.
- Add your toppings, and don’t forget to add more of that sauce! Fold the flatbread in half to close.
Suggested Flatout: Foldit® - Traditional White