If you have diabetes, you are probably familiar with the stress you feel every time you are faced with eating at a social event. Of all of the courses, dessert usually is the most stressful since every option seems to be packed full of refined carbohydrates and added sugar. Instead of having to pass on dessert, why not bring a delicious option with you that everyone can enjoy. This recipe turns the tables on traditional pie and allows you to enjoy all of the yummy goodness without a negative impact on blood glucose levels. By swapping out the standard crust for Flatout Flatbread, you can significantly reduce the carbohydrate content of the recipe while boosting fiber- a winning combo for healthy blood glucose levels.
Blueberry Hand Pie
- 1 Flatout flatbread wrap
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Powdered sugar and greek yogurt to garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Quickly run wrap under warm water (no more than 2 seconds) to dampen and lay on a baking sheet.
3. Mix blueberries and coconut sugar and pour in the center of your flatbread wrap.
4. Fold the flatbread over berries, leaving 1/4 of the bottom side of flatbread uncovered. Press down with fork to seal edges.
5. Next, fold bottom portion of flatbread back over and press down firmly with hands. Flip over to face downward on the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before garnishing if so desired.