Pizza doesn’t have to be an empty indulgence … even pepperoni pizza!
Two of the easiest fix-it-up strategies right off the bat are simply to amp up the whole grains, while dialing back the fat in the toppings. A few smart substitutions can make all the difference!
This delicious quesadilla is a perfect example – it has all the family-favorite flavors of a pepperoni pizza, but is so much healthier, too!
Loaded with complex carbs and whole grains from the Flatout flatbread, plus protein from the reduced-fat cheese, turkey pepperoni and even the flatbread, too (9 grams of protein in one Light Italian Herb Flatout – no kidding!), this quesadilla has true keep-you-full staying power. And hey – we even snuck in some vitamins and all that great lycopene hanging out in the pizza sauce!
Plus, although this recipe is specifically designed as a Pepperoni Pizza Quesadilla, it could easily be adapted for whatever pizza toppings your family likes best. For a real nutritional upgrade, you can even ditch the pepperoni altogether and pile on some nutrient-rich veggies!
Add some fresh fruit or a few carrot sticks alongside, and you’ve got a hearty power snack or even a balanced meal – in just moments! Not bad for 5 minutes of work!
Pepperoni Pizza will never be quite the same!
5 Minute Pepperoni Pizza Quesadilla
- 1 Light Italian Herb Flatout flatbread
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite pizza sauce
- ⅓ cup shredded, reduced-fat Italian cheese blend
- ⅛ teaspoon dried basil
- 5 slices turkey pepperoni
- additional pizza sauce, if desired, for dipping
- Lay flatbread on work surface and spread pizza sauce evenly over entire flatbread.
- On one half of flatbread, sprinkle about 2 tablespoons cheese and basil. Lay pepperoni slices evenly on top, and then sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly on top of the pepperoni
- Fold quesadilla in half, bringing the sauce-only half of the flatbread on top of the side with toppings.
- Preheat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook quesadilla, covered, for about 3 minutes on the first side, just until toasty golden-brown.
- Flip quesadilla over and continue cooking on the second side, covered, for about an additional minute, until cheese is melty and the second side of the flatbread is a light, toasty golden-brown.
- Remove from heat, cut into wedges, and serve with additional pizza sauce for dipping, if desired.